Monday, December 2, 2013

Scotland's Greatest Athlete, Part 1

Well since y'all seem to like my "Hero of the Faith" posts better than my "random photography" (I'll try to not hold it against you), and since this man is my "Hero of the Faith", I thought it would be only fitting to do a series of posts on his life and times. :D
I'll try to do one post a week (with the exception of Christmas break...maybe) with a little excerpt from his life until his 112th birthday (January 16th). 
So, grab yourself a cup of tea, and enjoy part 1 of "Scotland's Greatest Athlete".

----------

Master Hayward extended his hand to both boys, “Welcome to Eltham College!  Did you have a good first night?”  

Eric and his older brother, Robbie, just glanced at each other, then at the floor.  They didn't want to think about it.  It was their first time away from their parents, and it was Eric’s first time in England.  Mother and Jenny were staying in a nearby apartment for a couple months to make sure the boys were settled, and father had gone back to China after a year’s furlough.

The elderly gentleman looked the young brothers over.  Robbie seems so much healthier than Eric.  No six-year-old should look as pale as this.  He thought, Makes me wonder what life is like in China.  I must do something about this- yes, I must.

“I trust this will be a good first term for you both. Besides your usual classes, you will be learning to play rugby, er, rugger, I think the boys call it.  It’s a great sport!  Sure to bring out the apples in your cheeks!”

Over the next few weeks, “rugger” became a favorite sport for both Robbie and Eric, one they learned quickly.  And because there were no time-outs, Eric was getting stronger, a fact observed by Headmaster Hayward.

“You must like the breakfast porridge, young man.”  he greeted Eric as he left the rugby field.  The boy’s cheeks look as pink as rose petals.  He thought rather proudly.

“Yes, sir,” Eric answered, his blue eyes sparkling.

The older man continued, “Or maybe it’s the meat pudding?” Eric shook his head, and then ran off.

Who would have imagined a few weeks ago, Mr. Hayward muttered, and it looks like the boy can run too!

As the weeks passed the boys' mother dreaded having to say goodbye to her boys.  She didn't even want to think about the next time she would see them.  She knew it would be many years.  
The occasion for her departure was a rugby game.  She slipped in after the game started, because she didn't want her being there to bother them.  She stayed a while, then left.


----------

Hope you enjoyed that little snippet from this man's life! Does anyone have any guesses as to who it is?  I dropped a couple hints in there.  ;)
Part 2 next week.

For His Glory, 

9 comments:

  1. Haha, you are correct! I guess my hints were a little too good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of him before and knew he was a runner, so maybe that's what made it so easy for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I've ever heard of him before, but, you said he played rugby? (basically my sisters and I favourite sport) I can see him becoming a favourite of mine in the future...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Bekah!
    S.F. Fun! He did play rugby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the next post! *waiting*

      Delete
  5. Just to let you know, even if you already did, I've awarded you an award ~ http://on-solid-ground-sf.blogspot.com/2013/12/sunshine-award.html
    ;)
    ~ S. F.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!