Sunday, January 12, 2014

Scotland's Greatest Athlete, Part 6

Saturday, July 12th
Inside Eric's Hotel Room

Eric was working on a speech for the next day's sermon, when there was a knock on the door.  He went to open it, "Tom, I had a feeling you might drop by." He greeted his trainer.  McKerchar, holding an armload of newspapers, smiled, "In case you have any doubts, you're an official Scottish hero!"
"I don't want to know anymore, Tom.  Wasn't it bad enough when I was the 'Next Wyndham Hallswelle'?" Eric jokingly replied, pushing Tom out the door.  "Aye, that it was.  But now you're the next Rob Roy and William Wallace rolled into one!"

McKerchar then proceeded to read an article from the London Newspaper, "'No longer a traitor to his country, Eric Liddell is the greatest quarter-miler ever!'"  He then found an article in The Scotsman, "'The greatest achievement in the Olympic Games so far has been accomplished by a Scotsman.  This is the crowning distinction of Liddell's career on the track, and no more modest or unaffected world champion could be desired.' Sit down a minute, I'm not through!" McKerchar was distracted by Eric, pacing the floor.

Clearing his throat, Tom found another article, "And now for a quote from the Flying Scotsman himself." Eric groaned.  Tom continued, "'The secret to my success over the 400 metres, is that I run the first 200 metres as hard as I can.  Then for the second 200 metres, with God's help, I run harder.'  Spoken like a real hero, if I may say so myself."

At the awards ceremony, Eric was brief, "My motto in life has ever been, if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing well.  I leave the track after four years."  A week later, Eric was headed to China for missionary work.

1929-1945

Eric met a young lady named Florence Mackenzie.  After years of courting, they married, and, together, they had three daughters.  Unfortunately, Eric was not able to spend much time with his family.  Before the Japanese invaded China, Eric sent his family to Canada to stay safe.  He remained in China to help the Chinese.  As a result of his selflessness, Eric ended up in an Internment camp in Weihsien.  He died of a brain tumor, on February 21st, 1945, just months before the end of WWII.


In the Internment Camp


I hope you enjoyed my posts about this inspiring man.  He is my "Hero of the Faith", and has been for many, many years. 
  Anyhoo...join me sometime next week, for a special post for his birthday (January 16th).

For His Glory, 
And Keep Smiling, :D

1 comment:

  1. I learned so much from this blog series on him! Thank you so much, Elizabeth!

    May God bless you!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!