Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Long Expected Post

Yes, that's right! This is my post about my opinion of The Desolation of Smaug
I know several of you have been asking for my thoughts, and, as I've never done a movie review before, I'll give it no less than my best.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD


Beorn:
Beorn was incredible! Though, this particular part of the movie wasn't quite what I had envisioned from the book...but, hey! It's a movie, right?


Bilbo:
Martin does a wonderful job of "being" this Hobbit! The courage he found really did help him.



Radagast:
So...I guess Radagast was okay. He wasn't in the book, but I loved his little part in this movie (though, his whole hair thing is questionable)! My family really got a kick out of his "This is not a nice place to meet." line. :D


Gandalf:
Um, he's a wizard. He does as he choses (within reason). :)



Tauriel:
Oh boy, Tauriel.
Let me just say that she wasn't my favorite.
Though, I did like the way she helped Kili throughout the movie. ;)


Legolas:
So much could be said about this amazing Elf! Orlando is awesome at playing him! I'm glad that, even though Legolas is not in the book, they put him in the movie, to save the dwarves, capture the dwarves, save them again, etc.





Kili:
Okay, so I loved how Kili sacrificed his life to save his friends. He took an arrow to the knee (and a poisoned arrow at that)! But, I never quite understood what all that was about between him and Tauriel...



The Barrel Scene:
Pure Epicness! By far one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie!




Fili:
Oh Fili. I must say, I admired his devotion to his brother. When Kili was sick and had to stay behind in Lake-Town, Fili told Thorin that he was going to stay with him. "I belong with my brother."



Bard:
Oh yes! I loved him! He was amazing at hiding the dwarves, etc.
I was a little disappointed with the Master of the Town...I didn't understand why he threw Bard in prison (not in the book). 
His children were so sweet as well. :)





Thorin:
I'm not sure what to think of this "King under the Mountain."
His greed, and lust for power and wealth reminded me of this verse from James "Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten. Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days." (5:1-3)



Smaug:
Now we come to it. "Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamaties" was amazing!! His conversation with Bilbo was great! Was really impressed with the size of Smaug. He was massive, and evil. Exactly what I expected!


The Ending:
Um, well...quite like the ending of An Unexpected Journey, I was a little disappointed. But, I was also excited, because it was a good "keep-me-in-suspense" effect. I think that they did this to keep the viewers interested, which is great for exercising patience. :)

Overall, I was quite impressed. I can't wait until There and Back Again comes out!

 Well, there you have it! My review of The Desolation of Smaug is finished.
  
How'd you like it? Please leave your thoughts in a comment!


8 comments:

  1. Yay! Finally a DOS post! And it was great! ;) So did you notice Peter Jackson in the opening scene?? And what a cliffhanger at the end...I was in disbelief he would do that to us. :P Oh well....I can't wait for TABA either! :)

    ~Carissa~
    delightinjoy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Yes, I did notice that! I pointed him out to my siblings. I was like, "Hey! There's Peter Jackson!"

      Delete
  2. Oh so, yes.... yes... yes...
    I completely agree about Thorin. It's going to be really hard to see him go down. Thankfully, if Jackson plays his cards right, we'll see him ahem END like he did in the books... as humble as Thorin gets, apologizing to Bilbo.
    But yes. Martin Freeman was perfect. Legolas was perfect. Save them, capture them, save them — HA. :D Bard was amazing. Ten thousand times over. When I first saw him, I thinks to myselfs, "Yes, that is an Inigo Montoya right there!" And waddya know, he turned out to be (even more) awesome than Inigo (be it even possible, beloved Inigo!). And his kids.... oh his kids..... they were quite possibly one of the best parts from the movie. So small of a part and yet so crucial. And that barrel scene... GAH. Awesomest. scene. ever. Yes.
    So I can't wait for There and Back Again either. Which is your favorite dwarf? Minus Fili, Kili and Thorin?
    And good job on the review :) Concise and to the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you!
      Hmm...favorite dwarf besides Thorin, Fili and Kili? It's between Bofur and Balin!

      Delete
  3. YAY! YOU GOT TO WATCH IT! And a lovely review at that. :) DoS is one of my favourites for sure! It was so wonderful--Bilbo was Bilbo and he is still my favourite! :D I loved all the Fili/Kili parts. And I loved this and this and this and I can't explain it all, so I guess I should stop now! :)
    To be truthful, I haven't done a movie review before, either. But maybe I should. . .
    ~ S. F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! One of my favourites as well! Definitely!
      Oh, yes! You should do a review!

      Oh yeah...and I completely left Thranduil out... Oops!

      Delete

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!