Thursday, May 21, 2015

Heal Our Streets and Land

Y'all know that I've been making some radical changes in my life recently, and if you don't, just read this post from April 10th. 

What inspired this post was an email I sent in reply to a friend, who asked me what I do at the place where I work. I say "work," but it's not really work. I make and sell tea all day long. I love it there! 

But that's slightly off the topic...It's a ministry that reaches out to the teens in our area, who don't go to church. They come in for some tea, we build relationships with them, and many have already come to faith in Jesus. Some of them have even started working there too. It's a pretty cool thing! I love working there!


Right now, I am just a volunteer helping them make money, and building relationships with people, but I want to be a disciple-maker, and more specifically, I want to see my generation become Christ followers.


 I want to be a radical Christian. A countercultural young person. One who is not ashamed of the gospel, because I know it is the power of God. I want to stand on unshakable truth in this ever-shifting time. I want to choose the cross over comfort, sacrifice for mission over maintenance, and an undivided heart rather than an indecisive life.

I started watching some messages from Louie Giglio. You've seen at least part of his message about the stars and whales singing, right? If not, it's a must see! Go look it up on YouTube. 

Back to the point... In one particular message titled "We Will Carry the Name" Louie explained how we are excellent at carrying names. He even gave some examples. Nike. Under Armour. Ralph Lauren. Even Justin Bieber! The point that he was trying to make, of course, was that we have been commissioned to carry the Name of the Son of God! We already know how to carry names. We need to live our lives in such a way that at the end of the day, those who we work with and see on a day-to-day basis, know Whose Name is the most precious to us. 

With this in mind, I started asking God for opportunities for me to be Jesus to those I work with, and serve at Cafe Barnabas. I told Him that I wanted to be used as His witness to express the love of Jesus to a world in desperate need of hope and a sense of purpose. 

The other day, a local high school lost a junior higher, who went out and hung herself. Before the ministry of Cafe Barnabas was started, a couple other students did similarly. It's for kids like these that the ministry was started, and ultimately it's for kids like these that Jesus died and rose again.

I want to be a part of that.

Thank you so much for reading this to the end, and letting me ramble! This has been on my heart for days, and I just needed to let the thoughts spill over.

-Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Elizabeth. What a wonderful mission. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!