Thursday, May 14, 2015

Lately...

Singing...
I've come to love these songs! 
I find myself singing/whistling/humming them on a regular basis. At home, at work, in the car. These songs are some of my absolute favorites:









Reading... 
That bright orange book at your local Christian bookstore? Yeah, that one by David Platt. Radical. That's what I'm reading these days. You may remember my post about his book "Counter Culture" back in early April, and how it has changed the way I see some things. Well, I was brave, and got the rest of his books. 
Conviction. I love the passion with which he writes!

I think reading his books have become one of my favorite things to do! 
No, they don't make me feel good about myself. They're not those "Follow Jesus, and everything will go easy for you." 
ABSOLUTELY NOT! For those of you who are my friends on the YouVersion Bible App, you will probably have seen some notes I've left in my readings.

“And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.”‭‭ (Acts‬ ‭2:45‬) 

I wrote for this verse: 
"It's interesting how American Christians in general are so needy. We're building bigger building, with bigger programs, and trying to find more comfortable homes, and even more food.
But the people in Act 2:45 were giving away all their possessions, and going. They were leaving their homes. Not just LEAVING their homes, but SELLING their homes, and everything in them.
They were giving God a blank check, saying 'God, whatever you want me to do, wherever you want me to go, I however you want me to live, I'll do it.'

This is what Jesus demands and deserves!"

And then there's this one...
And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”  (Luke 9:58)

If you follow Him, you're not even guaranteed the basic need of shelter!

He has really made me think, and ask myself this question:
"What is Jesus worth to me?"


Listening...
to the "Radical with David Platt" Podcast. Ouch. Just as convicting as the books! 
And even more so, because I can hear the passion in his voice. He actually believes what he is preaching!

From an Acts study I've been listening to...
10 Reasons we must give God a "Blank Check":
1. Because Jesus is worthy of absolute surrender. 
2. Because Jesus is working to advance His Kingdom.
3. Because Jesus has clothed every single one of us with His power.
4. Because He has given every single one of us the same purpose.
5. Because the world is our goal!
6. Because the Word is our guarantee.
7. Because the Spirit is here.
8. Because the stakes are high. Everlasting joy, or everlasting suffering?
9. Because the glory of Christ leaves us no other option.
10. Because the coming of Christ leaves us with eager anticipation. He's coming back!


Wondering...
Now that Perspectives is over, what is the next step for me?
"God's got this thing rigged." 

Praying...
For the way to be clear.

And waiting...
for many things in general. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. ;)


Now I'm going...
...to a dentist appointment. Joy. :P

Bye for now!
-Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I should try one of Platt's books sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you really should! There's no recovering though. XD

      Delete
  2. I'm sold! On the hunt for David platt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! He's an amazing author and speaker!

      Delete

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!