Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A From-the-Heart Update on Life

"Jesus Christ is worth everything, and the best thing we can do is to give Him EVERYTHING." -Louie Giglio

I'm sure you all know by now that I'm a Christian. I have been since I was three, but in these months since January, the trajectory of my life has taken a radical turn, and my life will never be the same.

Let me explain.

You may remember that I graduated high school in May of 2014, and as I didn't know what I wanted to do, I decided not to go off to college. I chose to stay and invest my life in the local "only exclusive tea shop" that was started by my former youth pastor, as an outreach to the students here in the community. Shortly after that, I became a shift lead (manager), and therefore, most of my time was spent there, developing relationships with those who came in to "chill out".


But in January, things started to become more clear to me. I've always had a desire to do 
missions, but I didn't have a heart for the unreached, until I began the Perspectives on the World Christian Movement class. Around the same time I started this class, I also began reading David Platt's Counter Culture, and I also started listening to his podcast on Moody Radio.


In the time since then, God has used these podcasts, as well as all of David's books (Radical:Radical TogetherFollow Me, and Counter Culture) to hugely impact my life, as a follower of Jesus. They have driven me to the Word, and to prayer, and have greatly strengthened my walk with Jesus. They have opened my eyes to the reality and the urgency that the Gospel demands.

As a result of this, I have recently come to the conclusion that I don't want to be a superficial Christian, living a comfortable life while ignoring the fact that there are billions out there - and thousands in my community - living, working, and dying without ever hearing of Jesus. 
Instead, I want to be a follower of Jesus, living in radical obedience to His word. 
One of David's quotes really got me...

"My biggest fear is that I would hear Jesus' words and walk away, content to settle for less than radical obedience to Him." 

Wow. The first time I read that, I sat there thinking, I don't want to settle for less than radical obedience to Him either, and I fully surrendered my life to Him, to live my life on mission for the spread of the Gospel and the Name and Glory of Jesus Christ in all the nations, knowing that it could cost me my life, but also knowing that He is worth it.

I've also become super ecstatic to be able to attend the Passion 2016 conference in Houston this coming January. I'm sure you already knew that though (my brother is already getting tired of me expressing my excitement). 

Now, in mid-August, I have chosen to take an online course from Moody Bible Institute, called The Church and the Community, in hopes of learning way for engaging the community, and the culture. I'm two days into it, and thoroughly enjoying it! Soaking it in, and already learning so much!

Let all the Earth Rejoice,
Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!