Monday, June 6, 2016

There Has Been an Awakening

As promised, here is my review of The Force Awakens...

Growing up, these were always my favorite to watch as a family. We used to have it on VHS, and when ours quit working, dad brought home the entire DVD set.

Having wondered how good it would be, and after hearing different people talk about it, I didn't want to put my hopes very high, for fear of it being a let down. So when my best friend and I packed into to the theater with hundreds of others on opening night, I was just there to enjoy the fact that THIS IS STAR WARS. I didn't care how good it would be, I was just soaking in the excitement that I was there ON opening night, WITH my best friend.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD. MOVE ALONG AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Let me start with the music. Because we all know (or at least I hope we all know) that music is powerful. When the trailer first came out, I told my parents that I would watch this movie for the music ALONE. Since it's John Williams, that alone is worth sitting in a theater seat for over two hours. I'm a self proclaimed music enthusiast, which basically means, I know a good song when I hear it. And the Star Wars scores are my absolute favorites.

I'm so glad John Williams was able to do compose for this movie! I could feel myself getting chills as the beginning story started rolling up the screen, and the theme music blasted through the building.


Main Title and Attack on the Jakku Village. ALWAYS a pleasure to hear the theme. 

I feel like Star Wars just wouldn't be Star Wars without John Williams. He's so gifted!


Rey's Theme. Star Wars, and yet, different. It gives the feeling that this new character is a little different than the other. A quieter track, portraying a feeling of mystery and wonder.  To me, emphasizing that this character is a strong, yet gentle young lady. 


Jedi Steps and Finale. Absolutely lovely. There are no word to describe is. It's just that amazing.

Moving on to the major characters and their actors/actresses.

Poe Dameron. "So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?" Poe came across as a hero, though he didn't get much screen time. I liked how he was trying to be funny in serious situations. Oscar Isaac did a great job!

BB-8. That little BB-8 unit that is orange and white... His little droid humor is the cutest thing, and I love how you could tell when he was happy and when he was sad. Even though he's a droid, I fell like the designers did fabulous job portraying his "feelings".

Rey. "The Scavenger." Daisy Ridley was PERFECT for this role, I think. After we bought the movie, I was able to watch a little of how her audition went. She was able to convey her feelings through her facial expressions. She was so intense and serious about it, and that is why she's great as Rey! She struck me as a hopeful, and hard-working girl - anxious to see her family, whoever they are/were. I am interested to find out who her family is, and why they left (though I have a theory).

FN-2187 (Finn). Yeah he's with the resistance!  No seriously... Finn has gotta be one of my favorite new characters. His heart is good, but he just needs direction. His relationship with Rey, I think, is important. John Boyega was awesome! In the extras, he mentions that he was freaking out, when he learned that he got a part in The Force Awakens. And who wouldn't? I mean, c'mon! This is Star Wars after all. 

Han Solo. Well, lets just say that Harrison Ford once again did a fabulous job. But he's Harrison Ford, so we'd wouldn't expect anything less. His witty one-liners are the best! I was disappointed when they killed him off. He truly loved his son, and missed being a family. He was always a favorite character. I really have nothing else to say about him. 

Chewbacca. CHEWIE! That big walking carpet of fluffy love. His devotion to Han, and his sweet, yet tough character made him a favorite. After he saw that Han was gone, he could've shot and killed Ben right then and there, but he didn't. He probably watched Ben grow up, and chose not to kill him, because he knows there's still good in him. At least, I like to think that's why... ;)

Ben Solo (Kylo Ren). WOW. Talk about anger issues! He's an interesting case. The son of Han and Leia, "Ben" trained to be a Jedi under Luke, but he was seduced by the Dark Side, and apparently became obsessed with Darth Vader, his grandfather. I hate that he was the one to kill Han.

Leia. Former princess, now General. She's really grown up since A New Hope, and I just love watching her character develop over the course of the four movies. Back then, she was a snobby princess, now she's a responsible, though heartbroken, adult. I love her gentle voice, talking with the others in this movie, and then her friendship with Rey. Right away, they're friends, even though they'd never met before. Their hug at the end of the movie was that of "I understand what you're feeling." Because they had both grown to love Han, though in different ways, they both understood the feeling of losing someone dear to them. For Leia, a friend and husband. For Rey, a friend, and the father she was never able to know.

The Millennium Falcon. What more to be said? When Rey, Finn and BB-8 first started running toward it, I knew right away. And I got chills. It's just one of those things that you're just like "Wow." "Garbage? Nah. It's an icon. And I love that now Rey is the Captain. I love that they didn't let Harrison see it, until they were filming the first scene with Han and Chewie. So when they boarded and said "We're home" that was the first time HF had seen it since Return of the Jedi. And it was just awe-inspiring, and full of memories.

Luke. Hermit on a mountain. I couldn't help but laugh at the end of the movie, as Rey was holding out the lightsaber to him, and they were just staring into each others eyes. What does he know? What was he thinking, as he looked off into the sea? What is he thinking now, staring at Rey? WHAT ARE THEIR STORIES?



The movie in general was epic. A friend was saying earlier today, that VII was just to restore the trust that the fanbase once had in Star Wars, before the prequels. Because IV, V, and VI were awesome, but I, II, and III were just okay. Because we had no idea what Disney would do to this epic that my parents loved, and now I love, we didn't want to get our hopes too high. It was either gonna be terrible, or epic. And in my book, it was the latter. I think I can trust Disney and J.J. Abrams with VIII. 

I realize it was practically the same basic plot as A New Hope, but I truly believe that from here, we are ready for a new generation of Jedi. Ready for a trilogy that is worthy of the originals. Ready to destroy the Sith AND the Dark Side, and restore order to the Galaxy, once and for all.

Now, 39 years after A New Hope first came out, and my parents saw them in theaters, I am proud to be a Star Wars fan, like my father before me. 

-Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. Funny...I just watched the movie with my Father-in-law before I read this. Great review. Still concern where it will lead to in the coming years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good movie. Nice review.

    Please pray for and check out my new blog, www.saltandsparrows.wordpress.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tagged you for the Quote Tag! http://on-solid-ground-sf.blogspot.com/2016/06/quote-tag-day-3.html
    Hope you're having a wonderful June. :)
    ~ S. F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how lovely! I'll do that as soon as I can!
    Hope your June is going wonderfully. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I love comments and try my best to reply, so please drop me one!